Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Top 10 Favorite Cards (#1-5)

Here are some of the coolest cards in my collection. I had intended on listing my top 10 favorite base cards and top 10 insert cards, but I couldn't think of any more cards in my collection that popped out like the ones I'm gonna talk about did. I'm gonna list them in chronological order.

1.) 1956 Topps #99 Don Zimmer

If you had told me when I started collecting that a guy that looks like this had played baseball before, I would've said you were crazy. Imagine my surprise when I found out that not only did he play baseball, but he was a middle infielder! I guess looks can be deceiving after all.

2.) 1959 Topps #338 George Anderson

I paid more for this card than any other in my collection. (I think I paid around $12 for it.) Those of you that don't really know baseball might wonder why I spent so much money on a card of a guy that only played one year in the majors. Here's why. I still think I got a good deal on it.

3.) 1966 Topps #74 Don Mossi

Oh, man. I knew this guy was ugly (some people have described him as looking like a cab driving down the street with its doors open). I've seen pictures of him online, particularly of this card. It wasn't until I actually held this card in my hands that I realized that the people that said those things weren't kidding. He was actually a pretty good pitcher back in the day. Sadly, this was his last card.

4.) 1968 Topps #562 Jim Bouton

Most people know this guy from writing "Ball Four" (an excellent read), but before he started throwing the knuckleball and writing books, he used to throw so hard that his hat would fall off. This is another "last card", which is weird because he went on to play a couple more years in the majors. I would've loved to see him on a 1979 Topps card in a Braves uniform.

5.) 1972 Topps #19 Billy Cowan

I don't know too much about this guy. From the looks of his stats, I don't think he got too much playing time. The picture on this card, however, is amazing! The guy that thought of taking it should've gotten a raise.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm pretty bitter about the lack of Bouton Astros or Braves cards as well...talk about being blackballed. At least he got a Pilots card in a few throwback sets:

http://www.grandstandsports.com/pages/12025.htm

--David said...

I agree! The Cowan card is super-cool! What a great composition.