Saturday, October 4, 2008

Once a band geek, always a band geek...

Photobucket

As I mentioned in another post, one of my favorite things to do is play guitar. It wasn't the first instrument I learned how to play, though. I started playing drums in the 5th grade. When I got to the 8th grade, I joined the high school marching band. (My high school started having 7th grade through 12th grade the year I went to 7th grade.) I couldn't march because of my bad ankles, so I played the auxiliary percussion (a.k.a the pit). Basically, the people in the pit play all the stuff that's too small to march, and there's a lot of instrument switching involved.

We had a really small band when I was in school (something like 50 people), but we did really well at all the competitions we went to. We went to a competition my senior year which had 28 bands from all over Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio. Some bands came in all the way from Michigan and New York. We were the smallest band there (I think), and we made it to the finals, where we finished 10th. (Here are the scores from the competition.) The picture of me at the beginning of this post is from that competition. It's also proof that I stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating, something I don't realize I'm doing at the time.

Even though I mainly play guitar, I still consider myself a drummer. Whenever my high school has Homecoming week, a bunch of alumni get together and play with the regular band during the football game. I always enjoy myself, even though I can usually barely walk afterwards. The unfortunate thing is that this might be the last year the alumni band will get together because very few alumni have been showing up the past few years. Even though we lost the football game, I still had a lot of fun. I got to see a bunch of people I haven't seen since I graduated.

What does this have to do with baseball cards? Nothing. I just had a lot of fun today and felt like writing about it. I just hope I can walk OK in the morning...

No comments: