Friday, November 14, 2008

WV Spotlight: Bill Mazeroski



For years, I thought Bill Mazeroski was born in Ohio. I remember going to the Rogers flea market and seeing a sign along the left-hand side of Ohio Route 7 (I'm guessing around Rush Run) that said "Home of Bill Mazeroski" in big letters. Imagine how surprised I was earlier this year when I found out he was born in Wheeling!

Maz was one of the best second basemen of all time, but he originally came up as a shortstop. Pirates president Branch Rickey moved him to second, and a star was born. He was involved in two of the last three Pirates World Series championships. He's best remembered for hitting a walk-off home run in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series to beat the New York Yankees (boo hiss). He retired after the 1972 season, and was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2001.

2 comments:

logden5751 said...

Hi maz is my cousin and he was from Little Rush Run Ohio .The sign you saw on route 7 by the bridge u go over Under the bridge is Little Rush Run. He lived about a mile up that road on the hill they call Turkey Point Hill

brownpattison71 said...

Bill was born in Wheeling,as alot of people from belmont and jefferson counties were born,(myself included.) But he grew up in rush run, ohio. With my grandfather Charles"Bud" Brown. Actually "Bud" played ball with the Maz when they were younger.